On Saturday evening, at approximately 5pm I will be a guest on the ever popular Hypotheticals panel.
This is a big panel - But what is it? Well, to quote directly from the website, "It's a role playing panel wherein comics professionals take a set of interlinked and developing hypothetical scenarios regarding the comic book industry and play them out. There's no audience participation, other than, I hope, the audience getting a lot of enjoyment out of it.
It's simple, great to watch and with the right panel, fascinating to see the ideas get bounced around. And since it is a Hypothetical, there's nothing to stop, say, one panelist being asked what he'd do as, say, a writer faced with an outrageous editorial demand, and then ask him immediately afterwards, what he'd do and say if he was the editor faced with that reaction from an intransigent writer?"
Over the years the Hypotheticals panel has had such comics luminaries as Mike Carlin, Mike Collins, Alan Grant, John McCrea, Steve Conley, Bob Schreck, Mike Carey, Joe Quesada, Jim Lee, Chris Weston, Dez Skinn, Antony Johnston, Marcia Allass, Scott Dunbier, Andy Diggle, Chris Weston, Joe Casey, Mike Oeming and Jim Valentino on it, and this year the guests are -
- Geoff Johns (JSA, Teen Titans, Infinite Crisis, Green Lantern)
- Liam Sharp (Mam Tor, Testament, 2000ad, The Possessed)
- Shelly Bond (Senior editor at VERTIGO)
- Tony Lee (Midnight Kiss, Shadowmancer, Starship Troopers, Doctor Who)
- Jamie Boardman (Editor, Titan Books)
- Retailer (to be announced)
- Lee "Budgie" Barnett (X-Men, the puppetmaster)
- with Dave Gibbons (Watchmen, Batman, Superman, tons of stuff) as the moderator
So as you can see, I'm going to be following a hard act, with a superb panel. I can honestly say with my hand on my heart that of all the panels at Bristol, this is the one that scares me the most. Seriously utterly scares me.
I'll do my best not to be drunk by then - but considering the fact this follows directly from my panel with Howard Chaykin - very unlikely.